Boost for riot home insurance claimants

Thursday, 01 September 2011

Get Adobe Flash player
Anyone who has suffered the misfortune of having to claim on their home insurance following the riots in England may be able to get some relief from council tax.

The government is making additional money available to councils in order to fund council tax and business rate relief.

This is in addition to extending the period for people without home insurance to claim under the Riot Damages Act to 42 days.

Communities and local government minister Eric Pickles says the one-off funding package will help repair buildings that were damaged, and make sure people who lost their homes are re-housed.

He explains the government is doing its bit for local businesses, and wants residents to do the same by supporting them with their custom.

As well as providing immediate support to help businesses recover from the riots, the Department for Communities and Local Government will spearhead cross-government work in the longer term in an effort to improve socio economic recovery.

Copyright Baubridge Ltd

News Home

Need Home Insurance?

Swiftcover has made it easy to buy home insurance. Get a quote now and only pay for the cover you really need!
Find out more about home insurance

Swiftcover and are both trading names of AXA Insurance UK plc, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority